Developing quality relationships.
Most people struggle to make their relationships work. It seems that maintaining a quality relationship is almost impossible. As a result, divorce incidents are increasing over the past decades (and still counting).
But in reality, a happy relationship is not hard to attain. The reason why keeping a healthy relationship is difficult is because most people forgot something.
We all sometimes forget that a quality relationship is not about material possession – it’s about how we connect ourselves to the people we love.
Here are some pieces of advice to create quality relationships in your life
1. Give what you want to receive. If you want to be loved, you need to love others first. If you want people to respect you, respect them first. Because what you sow is what you receive.
In the context of an intimate relationship, giving without expecting any return is very important. You need to love your partner first before you can expect him/her to love you.
2. Listen to your loved one. It is important that you listen and consider your partner’s views. A quality relationship involves good communication. Without good communication, the link between you and your partner will collapse.
3. Leave what is insignificant. You may have bad experiences in the past – negative events that shaken your relationship. However, past memories are long gone. Nothing will be changed. There’s no reason no cling on. Leave those experiences in the past and never bring it in your present. Don’t let your relationship be shattered by your past. Instead, focus on your future plans.
4. Strive to experience happiness. There’s nothing more significant in this life than being happy. Enjoy and cherish the moments that you’re together with your partner. Real happiness is the foundation of quality relationships. And you can only be happy if you free yourself from all negative behaviors. Stop criticizing people. Focus on the beauty of life, not on the negativity of your current circumstance.
5. Be genuine to your partner all the time. Honesty is still the best policy. Honest people are the free ones. If you share your true self with someone, s/he will also do so to you in return. Remember rule number one? If you keep your shadows (negative secrets) with you, you’ll be hunted. Your relationship will become brittle. Quality relationships only exist in genuineness.
I’m a licensed psychometrician, author, and blogger. I’m currently working as a University instructor teaching psychology. I love writing and doing psychological research.