Although most of the companies prefer a face to face interview, there are some instances wherein companies start their hiring process in a phone conversation.
A phone interview is a good way to make an initial assessment of their potential employees. Although preliminary, this initial process could determine whether or not you’ll be accepted or fit in the available position.
As an applicant, you need to prepare yourself in anticipation of any possible phone interview. Your phone may ring anytime. But you will never know when. So make sure that your phone is not in silent mode or turned off.
Aside from this technical preparation, you need to prepare yourself too to answer the unpredictable questions that the interviewer may ask. In this post, you will learn some useful tips that could help you nail a phone interview.
How to succeed in a phone interview?
Just like a regular face to face interview, a phone interview goes the same way. The interviewer will ask you questions that may or may not related to the job that you are applying for. The common queries involve are about your strengths and weaknesses. Make a list of information that could respond to these questions.
Gather important information about the company. Know the background and the services that the company is offering. Most job applicants have no idea how important this information. Knowing the company’s basic information signifies that you are indeed interested to be part of that organization.
It is important to highlight your qualifications in your resume. But make sure that they are all true. Do not pretend to be fitted in the job if you are not. It will only cause you headaches later on.
The most important thing you need to learn is to be confident during the phone interview process. Be comfortable in discussing your strengths and weaknesses. During the phone interview, have a copy of your resume with you. It will help you to deliver the correct information you need in case you forget some details.
Practice the whole phone interview process
Having a casual conversation on the phone is easy. But when it comes to the phone interview, the process is entirely different. However, like anything in life, you can be good at it. The secret? Practice.
Yes. There’s nothing more confident than a person who really hones his ability through practice. With that being said, before the actual interview, you need to spend the time to practice answering a phone interview. It will help you find out some areas in your communication skills that needed to be improved.
The best strategy is to have someone to accompany you in the process. Conduct a mock interview with that person and record the whole process. This strategy captures your conversational strengths and weaknesses. Listen to the recording and observe the possible problem and figure out how to fix it.
Tips on how to succeed in a phone interview
The following tips will help you nail a job interview on the phone. Here are the tips for a successful phone interview:
- Prior to the interview, make sure that you review the qualifications of the job you are applying for. Make a list of the criteria and make sure your background fits with the qualifications needed. Keep that list near the phone so that you can easily refer to it during the interview if necessary.
- Have your resume within your reach so that it will be easy for you to answer possible questions.
- Ready your pen and paper for note-taking if necessary.
- Find a conducive room. Make sure that it is from any disturbing noise.
During a phone interview, there are many things that you should remember. Here are the Dos and Don’ts:
- Always use the interviewer’s title.
- Avoid smoking, eating, or drinking during a phone interview.
- Although it is a phone interview, do not forget to smile. This will help you build confidence throughout the entire interview process.
- Speak clearly and listen carefully. Unlike the face to face conversation, an interview over the phone can be more challenging. There are times when you canât exactly hear what your interviewer might be saying.
- Wait for your turn. Do not interrupt the interviewer. Answer the questions when it’s your turn to speak.
- Do not rush your answer. Control your own pace. It is perfectly okay to take your time. Make sure that you are giving the right answers.
- Keep your answers short. Stay focus on the main point.
- Do thank the interviewer.
You can nail a phone interview if you know what to do. Now that you have the tips on how to succeed in a phone interview, it is time to put them into action. Prepare yourself for the actual process. If you use these techniques correctly, you will be able to land your dreamed job.